I learned how to knit a little over a year ago. I've done a few scarves and hats, but I decided last fall it was time to tackle a bigger time-consuming project. I saw a picture of a blanket similar to this in a Pottery Barn catalog, and I thought it would be easy to duplicate. Well, the stitch was easy to duplicate, but it took a long time to finish. Although I didn't work on it consistently, it took me about 4 months to finish.
It took about 7 balls of yarn. Because it took so long to do and was starting to get expensive to make (it's almost $6 per ball of yarn), it's shorter than I was hoping it would be. It's really comfy though. It doesn't look exactly like the one in the catalog and it has many flaws, but I am proud of my first big project, especially because I didn't use a pattern!